Posted on December 13, 2012 | 8:24 am Print
Synopsis: Conversations with the weather service have varied over the last couple days. This is the latest information as of 0800 hours this morning. The amount of snow above 6,000 feet has stayed pretty consistent with variations in accumulation below 6,000 feet. Transition from rain to snow in Prescott should occur after midnight with accumulation between 1-3 inches possible . Weather service stated that we should keep our eyes on the Saturday storm. denny
Winter Weather Advisory
URGENT – WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE FLAGSTAFF AZ
657 AM MST THU DEC 13 2012
COCONINO PLATEAU-YAVAPAI COUNTY MOUNTAINS-WESTERN MOGOLLON RIM-OAK CREEK AND SYCAMORE CANYONS- INCLUDING THE CITY OF…FLAGSTAFF – 657 AM MST THU DEC 13 2012
…WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 9 PM THIS EVENING TO NOON MST FRIDAY…
* TIMING…SNOW WILL BEGIN AFTER SUNSET THURSDAY EVENING AND WILL BECOME STEADY BY LATE EVENING. SNOW MAY BECOME HEAVY AT
TIMES AFTER MIDNIGHT MST…THROUGH EARLY FRIDAY MORNING. PERIODS OF SNOW WILL BECOME SHOWERY AND INTERMITTENT BY FRIDAY AFTERNOON.
* TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS…4 TO 8 INCHES ABOVE 6000 FEET…WITH 6 TO 10 INCHES ABOVE 7000 FEET. LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS OF 12 TO 16 INCHES WILL BE POSSIBLE SOUTH OF FLAGSTAFF CLOSER TO SOUTHERN EDGE OF THE RIM…AND 16 TO 24 INCHES ABOVE 8500 FEET OVER THE SAN FRANCISCO PEAKS.
* OTHER IMPACTS…GUSTY SOUTHWEST WINDS OF 15 TO 25 MPH WILL CAUSE AREAS OF BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW…AND REDUCED VISIBILITY.
A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW MEANS THAT PERIODS OF FALLING SNOW WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SLIPPERY ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES. PLAN EXTRA TIME FOR TRAVEL…AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING. TAKE EMERGENCY TRAVEL SUPPLIES INCLUDING WINTER CLOTHING…FOOD…WATER AND A FLASHLIGHT.
- Today A 30 percent chance of showers after 11am. Increasing clouds, with a high near 52. South wind 9 to 18 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph.
- Tonight Rain showers. The rain could be heavy at times. Snow level 6600 feet. Low around 34. South wind 9 to 14 mph becoming light southeast in the evening. Winds could gust as high as 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.
- Friday Rain and snow showers likely, becoming all snow after 11am. The rain and snow could be heavy at times. Cloudy, with a high near 41. Southwest wind 9 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.
- Friday Night A 20 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25. South southeast wind 6 to 13 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
- Saturday Snow showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 40. South wind 5 to 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.
- Saturday Night A chance of snow showers, mainly before 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25. Chance of precipitation is 50%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.
- Sunday A 10 percent chance of showers. Mostly sunny, with a high near 44.
- Sunday Night A slight chance of showers. Partly cloudy, with a low around 24.